Deleted user
posted 5 months ago
Work Visa for working from home
I work from home as a research analyst in the US My wife will start at University in the UK within a month. I want to live with my wife in the UK while continuing to work from home for my US based employer. Do I need to apply for a UK work visa to continue virtual work while in the UK
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Immigration Law
  • Other

Answer this Post

Login into your account and answer this post

Contribute Now
Deleted user
posted 5 months ago
Hi, Thank you for reaching out. You can surely continue to work of your US-based employer. The situation can be handled differently; please consider the below: 1. If you wish to stay in United Kingdom for longer than 6 months, you will need to apply for United Kingdom -working visa. Namely, unless you are a British citizen or British national, you need a visa to live and work in the United Kingdom. 2. If you are staying for less then 6 months in United Kingdom, your tourist visa for up to 6 months, allows you to work remotely from the United Kingdom to any international company (regardless of jurisdiction). Are you a US citizen? If yes — United States citizens can arrive in the UK as a tourist without applying for a visa in advance and stay for up to 6 months. US citizens cannot work in the UK without an appropriate visa. However, as I have said, US citizens wishing to work remotely in the UK for foreign companies are not explicitly denied their ability to continue working remotely on a UK tourist visa. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Best, N
Deleted user
posted 5 months ago
If you intend to come to the UK to work, this will require Sponsorship from your employer even if remote or hybrid working. If your US employer does not have a UK branch to transfer you to, they could consider an Expansion worker visa. Otherwise, you risk your UK visa being cancelled if you come as a visitor and work remotely in the UK.