Mahdieh Mohammadi
posted 2 years ago
Remotely working for a US company
Can a Canadian citizen who's an Iranian resident legally work as an independent contractor remotely for a US company? Note: This person has a Canadian bank account and is planning to move to Canada by January. Thanks!
  • Canada
  • Banking and Financial
  • Employment
  • Immigration Law

Answer this Post

Login into your account and answer this post

Deleted user
posted 2 years ago
Yes, He/She can. There needs to be a contract executed and tax implication must be taken into account.
posted 2 years ago
Hello dear Under Iranian constitution and labor law people are allowed to choose their profession as desired unless it is illegal. From a human right point of view there could be no limitation for people choosing a profession. but as expats working in Iran have sensitive status and they are under track of ministry of intelligence I highly recommend you to consider all aspects of this job. If the job is against public interest or public security of Iran, you'll be in trouble. Regards Baharak Barzin
posted 2 years ago
Under Us law (Regulation 50 USC 1702): “the importation into the United States of any goods or services of Iranian origin or owned or controlled by the Government of Iran, other than information and informational materials within the meaning of section 203(b)(3) of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act ( 50 U.S.C. 1702(b)(3)), is prohibited.” In light of 560.206, it may be illegal for Us companies to recruit Iranian nationals under US law; Therefore, an Iranian person is not subject to US law but the US company would be. However, in your case, since you have Canadian citizenship and hold a bank account in Canada, there won’t be any problem regarding the payment process. More importantly, the fact that you are not defined as an employee to the Us company you’re about to work, but a self-employed (according to your independent contractor agreement), makes it easier for the company to work with you, and transfer your payment into your Canadian bank account.