Deleted user
posted 3 years ago
Can professional actors from Canada visit the U.S. for non-working purposes?
A Canadian actress whom I represent wants to know whether it's possible for her to s travel to the U.S. like any other Canadian only for vacation or the usual 6-month stay maximum without any exemptions or limitations based on her profession. I'm posing this question because the U.S. Visa section demonstrates that anyone who is a professional actor is exempt from B-2 Visitor Visas, which are normally considered just short-term visitors for non-pay or are automatically applied without the need for applying for any Visa (meaning a Passport is all that's needed generally). In addition, if she were to get a paying acting job in the U.S. under any Visa for a 1–3-year max period as a start, and she wasn't residing in the U.S. for all of the allotted time, is she able to re-enter as a visitor not part of the initial "work-alien" Visa? I ask because there are many related issues with this regard. For instance, it's implied that she intends to live permanently in the U.S, because she is an actress. If she doesn't intend to live for a long time in the U.S. (at least at once), the Visa would only be useful for pay and work -- not just a "hidden" loophole for permanent residency in which some might use it. It's not an absolute requirement to obtain an O Visa for international acting work, but the Visa sections define "professional acting" as B Visa exempt, but that's only factoring in remuneration -- ignoring that this reads out as if it's stating, "No one who has acted professionally in their country is allowed to visit the U.S."; it doesn't read out as if it's only applying to professional work in said area. Basically, there are many gray areas here and holes that may vary based on exact.
  • Canada
  • Immigration Law

Answer this Post

Login into your account and answer this post

Contribute Now