Deleted user
posted 3 years ago
Can one disclaim or renounce a British peerage after holding it for a year?
According to the Peerage Act 1963, anyone may disclaim a hereditary title of nobility within one year of inheriting it, or within one year of the passage of the Act. Since the latter deadline has long since lapsed, is there currently any way to disclaim or renounce a peerage after having held it for more than a year? If the only realistic options involve the consent of the government or the legislative action of Parliament, and the government/Parliament refuses to cooperate, would the Earl have any recourse to the European Court of Human Rights?
  • United Kingdom
  • Public Law
  • Human Rights

Answer this Post

Login into your account and answer this post

Contribute Now